Sunday, February 5, 2012

Make that a Gluten Free Cupcake. Hold the Razors.

For several years now, I've suffered from chronic migraines. In fact, last year, I had at least one migraine a day.. As you can imagine, they were a bit intrusive. I mean, how am I supposed to enjoy Glee to it's full potential when my head feels like it's been stuffed into a juicer with a handful of rocks, and a few dozen daggers (you know, just for a little flavor.)  I still get them, but thankfully, I only get about one a week now, if I'm lucky. Their severity, typically causes me to hide away in a dark room with a pillow over my head, hissing like a vampire any time any one attempts to disrupt, or alter my cave like environment. 

6 years ago, my mom was diagnosed with Celiac disease. Basically, Celiac is an allergy to gluten. No wheat, no rye, no barley. Since she was diagnosed, she has urged me to get tested to see if I have the same disease, as it can be genetic, and I exhibit some of the symptoms. The test includes a blood test that searches for an antibody, and if that comes back positive, an endoscopy is performed to fully diagnose the disease. Having an almost debilitating fear of needles, and a long term love affair with bread, I had no intention of getting tested. Until my brother was diagnosed. Within a week, she called me with an appointment set up, and a blood order from my doctor all ready to go to have me tested. I took a deep breath, put my big girl panties on, and had the blood test done. Although I didn't cry, yes, my fear of needles is THAT bad, I did clench my eyes, squeeze my mothers hand, and try to ignore the blood splatters on the wall next to me. 

For a week, I over indulged myself on all things gluten, in anticipation of being told that I wouldn't be allowed to eat it anymore. 
"Enjoy that while you can!" My mother would cackle as I ate a slice of bread. 
Finally the call came. 
"Emily, your test came back negative. You do not have Celiac."

Immediately, I called my mom.
"NEGATIVE!!! I TOLD YOU!!" I screamed. 
"Well, I still think you should try a gluten free diet," she replied.

I am now week 1 into a month long gluten free diet. It's difficult, I won't lie. All I want is to indulge in a slice of cheesecake, dancing in pure jubilation on top of a mountain of gluten injected toast. But instead, I'm trying to find alternatives to the foods I love. It's helpful having a mother who's been living with this for 6 years. So far, I've discovered I enjoy steel cut oats, gluten free pizza, and gluten free french toast. If you have any favorite gluten free recipes, or suggestions, let me know! 

Recipe for Awesome Gluten Free Steel Cut Oats:
Make steel cut oats from scratch
Add Honey, milk, and a decent spoonful of Coconut Oil. 
Stir everything up, and enjoy the gloriousness that you have just created. 
yummmmmmmmmmmmmm                                                                                               

No comments:

Post a Comment